Friday, October 4, 2013

So it Begins

- The Inspiration -

I heard about the AIDS/LifeCycle when I was just a young Starbucks barista in undergrad. My girlfriend, Tara Ross, told me that she was signed up for a ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. On top of that, she had to raise $3,000 to participate! Crazy distance and crazy money...but I was in awe of her goal.

She started taking spin classes at her school to get in the daily training, and went for long rides on her days off. She'd often stress or get antsy about the ride, but she had everyone's support for the event. We knew it was just a matter of time.

Eventually, she did do it. To see the confidence she had when she came back was inspiring. I had never seen her so strong and at ease with herself.

I decided I wanted to do the AIDS/LifeCycle, too!

- Signing Up -

I finally got to a point in my life years later where I had a job that would support such an endeavor. If needed, I could support the fundraising requirement with my own salary. So I decided that 2014 was the year I would finally do the 545-mile ride. 

So on October 4, 2013, I signed my life (and $3,000) away for the ride. 

- Hiccups -

Turns out, I'm not allowed to overtly solicit at work. So I'm going to have to be creative in the way I fundraise.

Tonight's forecast: BRAINSTORMS!

(...speaking of brains...zombie 5k tomorrow morning!)

1 comment: