Monday, October 7, 2013

Personal Page

Fundraising requires that individuals sell their cause to others. You have to convince others to buy into what you're working towards--that your goal is one worthy of their financial support. In tough economic times, this can be a hard ask.

...and even a harder sell...



When devising a personal donation page, one needs to think about what makes their cause different from the rest of everyone else's. For me, it's personal fulfillment in addition to a worthy, charitable cause. The more I can tell people about why I am riding, the better.

This is an art.

No one wants to read a novel about your commitment to the cause or the reason why you want to do any charity. By the time they get to the end, they may feel that they've already committed enough! I tried to explain in just a few paragraphs what the ride is and what it supports, why I want to do it, and also tell potential donors that any amount helps and is appreciated equally. Additionally, I thought it was important to share something a bit unexpected (hence the picture of me at the Golden Gate Bridge when I was ten).

Here is my participant page: http://www.tofighthiv.org/site/TR/AIDSLIFECYCLE2014/AIDSLifeCycleCenter?px=3032259&pg=personal&fr_id=1630

Tell me what you think and if I should expand more on it or change anything. 

2 comments:

  1. I love it and I agree with your approach. I like to understand YOUR interests from YOUR point of view. I can do my own research if and when I need the wider picture on the subject at hand or, I can simply contact you for more information as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel. Generally, I think the people would be interested in supporting me and my interests and probably want to know my reasons for being involved. Otherwise, if they really believed in the cause, they would have donated to a similar organization independently of me already.

      Delete